Monday, May 24, 2010

Chain Piecing

I am working away on my version of Second Hand Clothes using Moda Collection for a Cause Legacy fabrics.  My workload at this time does not allow for big day-long marathons in the studio.  Fortunately, this quilt is perfect for making in a few minutes grabbed here and there.


Here's a photo of one of the instruction sheets, with directions for piecing the 9-patch blocks.  You cut the rectangles then sew them to a strip of the solid fabric used for the center and outer corners of the 9-patch.  Leave a tiny bit of space between each rectangle as you sew them to the strip.


When you finish chain piecing, you use your ruler and rotary cutter to cut the pieces apart, then line them up on the strip that forms the other corner.  It goes fairly quickly and I think it will yield more accurate, square blocks. 

I'm hoping to get these blocks done this week, then I can start putting the quilt together over the long weekend.


1 comment:

  1. WOW...how clever an idea is that....so simple really, but it never occurred to me to chain piece that way....Thanks so much for sharing and the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.