Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Quest for a new sewing machine

Yesterday, I read Perry’s post about her new sewing machine and it got me thinking. I mentioned previously that I am still sewing on the machine I bought in 1974. I think I have gotten my money’s worth out of it! I was always happy with it and did not see the need to spend upwards of $1,000 for a new one when it did everything I needed it to do. At least, I was content until last June. While at the annual show put on by the State Quilt Guild of New Jersey, I tried a Bernina designed for quilters. Big mistake ‘cause now I want one! I was seriously considering buying one towards the end of the year but put it out of my mind after the big stock market meltdown. But I’m warming up to the idea again. Fortunately, my husband supports the idea. In fact, he said I should get a new machine given how much time I spend using it.

Next week, I’m going to the Quilt Fest of New Jersey show. They always have some sewing machine vendors there and I plan on giving them all a try-out.

So, I’m seriously considering making a big purchase and would appreciate any tips you have on choosing a sewing machine. What do you sew on? Do you recommend it?

1 comment:

  1. Go for the Bernina (I use a 440QE). And if you like free motion quilting, make sure you get the BSR. They should have specials associated with the show -- ask the local dealer, they typically extend the deals for a few weeks so you don't have to buy it right there.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.