Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Plantation Road/Country Road - A Finished Quilt

Finally, a quilt finish!


Quilt is folded so you see about a quarter of it here.

In July, 2016, I started working on a design called Plantation Road, from the book Tributes and Treasures by Paula Barnes and Mary Ellen Robison of Red Crinoline Quilts.  I'd had a large piece of fabric in my stash for ages, a floral print from Blackbird Designs that I'd purchased with borders in mind, and this seemed like a good match.  All of the fabric in this quilt came from my stash, including the back which is a simple ecru tone-on-tone.  


The quilt has been finished except for binding for some time.  I took it along on a trip to visit my mom in Michigan thinking it would be a good evening occupation while there.  The season opener of Dancing With The Stars (Mom is an avid fan) plus some pre-dinner conversation time another evening and I had this one bound.

It's a very simple quilt.  Small nine-patch blocks are sewn into double nine-patch blocks then set on-point with alternating blocks of unpieced fabric.  My longarm quilter, Karen Thompson, found a panto design that is very similar to the motif in the toile-like fabric I used for the alternate blocks.  I think it looks good.


I made my version smaller than the original design in the book but at at 69" by 80" it is about twin bed size and will serve us well in our family room when two or three of us watch TV together.  And it's ready for use just as the evenings are getting chillier.  I'm calling my version Country Road.

 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

6 comments:

  1. Country Roads is beautiful with its soft vintage and aged fabrics. Quilts don't need to be complicated to be lovely. The border fabrics was meant to be. Great job using your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet it feels great to get it done and have a finished quilt on your list Cathy! Love the fall colors and perfect for this time of year...;)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stash buster love the autumn feel in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful Cathy -- the colors are perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.