Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Week Of Not Quilting and A Trip to the Quilt Shop

I have unintentionally become a weekend quilter.  Too much work to get to the sewing machine during the week and not much done on the weekend either.  I have made progress on Jubilee but not enough to bother showing in pictures.

I spent what little time I had in the evenings this week planning our next vacation and reading a novel, The Light in the Ruins, by Chris Bohjalian.  Very good, I highly recommend it.  I stayed up until 1:30 am on Friday to finish it!  I also enjoyed his previous book, The Sandcastle Girls

By Saturday, I had to have some quilting exposure (vitamin Q as May Britt of Abyquilt calls it) so visited my LQS, Pennington Quilt Works, for their annual holiday open house.  At this event, they have all their special Christmas and winter themed offerings on display; mostly quilt projects they have kitted up.  It is always good for some inspiration. Take a look...

 
Very impactful design and I like the inclusion of the aqua fabric.
 

 
The tree is a panel, surrounded by pieced stars. 
There are lights on the tree that really light up. 
 

 
I like these placemats, from the Nov/Dec 2012 edition of McCalls Quilting.
 

 
Some smaller wall hangings.  I like the one that says "Merry Christmas." 
I think it could be turned into a pillow.
 

I didn't buy a kit but I did find some green fabric I like so stocked up for a quilt I have in mind.  I don't often care for batiks but the batik with the snowflakes is to die for.


 
By the way, if you are interested in any of the projects shown above, they are available as kits from Pennington Quilt Works.  Most are on their web page here, but if you don't see it on the website, give them a call at 609-737-4321.  The store is staffed by very helpful quilters and they do ship.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. It's always good to get inspired with the holidays around the corner. But I would need more time than we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "vitamin Q" phrase. I've never heard it before! The small Merry Christmas pattern is available free online somewhere. It is listed as a mug rug, I think. I printed it out a while ago. I have a Christmas project I need to get working on and your photos have helped inspire me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.