Monday, August 22, 2011

Another Finish

I have another finish to show you!  Unveiling...Stargazing!


I made this quilt with a Miss Rosie Quilts Co. pattern called Ginger Belle.  It is a variation on Double Irish Chain, with a star added to the open blocks. 


I sent the finished top to Linda Hrcka of The Quilted Pineapple.  Linda did a fabulous job with the quilting.  Her work really brought this quilt to life; a good example of how much the quilting adds to the beauty of a quilt!  Linda quilted feather wreaths in the open space around each star and a simpler motif along the chains. 


I used a solid flannel for the back but you can see the quilting in this photo.


The fabrics in Stargazing are from the Rural Jardin line by French General for Moda.  I had a fat quarter bundle which supplied the scrappy look, and I used one of the small-scale red prints for the binding.  the finished quilt is 82" square, a good size for a full-size bed.  Miss Main Street likes the quilt very much so it may be going on her bed after she leaves for college. 


Originally, I was searching for a French name for this quilt, something that would incorporate the word "belle" from the pattern name and the Frenchiness of the fabric.  I was toying with belle etoile (beautiful star) and etoile brillante (shining star) but was never entirely comfortable with either.  Then Stargazing just came to me.  One of the dictionary definitions for stargazing is "to indulge in dreamy thought" and I thought it was perfect. 


8 comments:

  1. YOur quilt is dreamy-gorgeous! And then when I was drooling over the pictures, I noticed that it was Linda who quilted it for you! She is a fabulous quilter! I love seeing her handi-work! Beautiful... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name, Cathy!! Perfect! I have to say it's rather cool, surreal to see your quilt again on your blog. It's beautiful. Your piecing was phenomenal, which made it such a pleasure to quilt for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your quilt is so pretty, and I like your new name for it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Gorgeous Cathy ! I just love the fabric and the quilting. Your daughter is one lucky girl to have this on her bed !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drop dead gorgeous! You make beautiful quilts, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda could not have done a better job on Stargazing, Rural Jardin looks wonderful in Ginger Belle, a great match. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just seen your quilt on Linda's blog and it is absolutely fabulous, I am going to go and buy that pattern NOW!! Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.