Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chain Piecing

For about a week, I had been putting off the decision as to which project to pick up next.  I have several UFOs and a number of PIGs (projects in grocery sacks,  except in my case they are in plastic boxes).  I could not make up my mind which one I most wanted to work on next.  I finally decided to get back to this project I blogged about last November, when I gathered all the fabrics from my stash and got them ready for cutting.  And then moved on to something else.

It is a variation on the kaleidoscope block and I am using the Kaleido-RulerTM fromMarti Michell to make the cutting easy and accurate.  I put some NexCare tape on the back of the ruler to prevent it from slipping on the fabric - a technique I learned from Carrie Nelson of Schnibbles patterns fame.  I highly recommend this.  Here is a picture of the tape:



You can buy it in any drugstore, in the first aid section by the Band-Aids, or order from drugstore.com.  A few pieces stuck on the back of your ruler prevents it from slipping while you cut, making for greater accuracy.  I figure these blocks, with eight points coming together in the middle, need accuracy!



I cut enough fabric for a few blocks, to get the feel of it, and am at the chain piecing stage now.  This might take a while.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great tip -- thanks for sharing -- and telling where to get the tape!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.