Thursday, October 8, 2009

Paper Roses Is A Quilt Top


Yes, a finished quilt top! I will piece the backing this weekend and take it to my longarm quilter next week.

My version looks quite different from the pattern illustration (below). I expected that, given the fabrics I chose, which are softer and slightly smaller in scale than the more modern, big prints shown on the pattern. When you like a pattern, it is tempting to try to reproduce the quilt exactly as depicted but I try to give each quilt I make my own "spin" and let myself experiment a bit too. I think that's how l learn and become more proficient at combining fabric and quilt design effectively.
I used fabrics from the Paris Flea Market (Moda), Durham (Lecien) and Mary Rose (Quilt Gate) fabric lines. All have pink roses (or rose-like flowers) on a white background. There is variation in the whites and the pinks, as well as in the scale of the prints. I used a variety of tonal pinks to make the paper pieced roses. Once the roses were pieced, the rest of it went together very quickly.

I'm thinking of naming it Everything's Coming Up Roses. What do you think of the name?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.