Saturday, June 19, 2010

Less Civil War, More Fabric Shopping



On the way home, we took Route 340 (Old Philadelphia Pike) through Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse (yes, that's the name of the town; my travel companions thought it was hilarious but they are easily amused).  The store above, The Old Country Store, was my best find.  I found some Rouenneries and Rural Jardin to round out my fat quarters and layer cake (at $6.65 per yard!!!).


At this point, I figured I had bought enough fabric.  But if I had still been looking, there were a couple more fabric stores within walking distance of The Old Country Store, including Zooks (also affiliated with ZandS Fabrics.com)  where you are likely to see Amish buggies tied up outside.  And back towards Lancaster, in Bird-in-Hand, is Bird In Hand Country Store (no website), stocking a nice assortment of oriental and modern, splashy prints like Kaffe Fassett and Amy Butler. 

While I liked the selection at The Old Country Store best, it had another thing going for it.  While I was searching the fabric displays, Mr. Main Street went next door to browse in a book store and Miss Main Street found Kitchen Kettle Village, hidden behind the shops across the street.  This is a wonderful place for the non-quilter to pass the time while you "do fabric."  They have a petting zoo, pony rides, fairground-type food like popcorn and funnel cakes, and little shops full of curious treasures.  There is a store that sells quilts made locally and another with the largest selection of Vera Bradley bags I've ever seen.

It was a very nice family trip.  There was something for everyone in the family and we had a great time together!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.