Thursday, February 19, 2015

iCases, Patterns by Annie - Pattern Review

I had a productive weekend.  Not only did I finish the baby quilt (previous post), I also am up-to-date on my stars for the sew along, having finished four more.



And I made a case for my iPad.  Last fall I saw examples of the iCases pattern from Patterns by Annie made up by one of the vendors at a quilt show and decided on the spot that I needed one.  It took a few months to get to it but once I started, it went pretty fast.  



And here is the finished result.  I used fabric I had in my stash (left from a quilt I made my mother a few years ago) and substituted a piece of vintage crocheted lace for the contrast fabric on the flap.  


It is lined with the same fabric I used for the binding.  Those black strips are velcro, used to hold the case closed.  I have one of those thin magnetic covers on my iPad (they're sold by Apple) and did not need to adjust the size of the case to accommodate it.  The pattern directions say you may need to enlarge the case size if you use a cover with a keyboard.  


The back has a zippered pocket to hold ear buds and the charger. And my Kindle will fit in the pocket for travel.  



I think you could make the pattern using batting and maybe a light interfacing too, but I used the Soft and Stable product recommended on the pattern and am very happy with the results.  It was great to work with and give professional looking results.  I did not quilt the fabric to the Soft and Stable, just ironed the pieces together which helped them stick enough for sewing.  This product is not a fusible.  The pattern directions were great, easy to follow.  I found the Clover Wonder Clips worked better than pins to hold the pieces together for sewing the binding on by machine because you need to sew through three layers around the bottom half of the case. The only problem I had was sewing over the teeth of the zipper (broke three sewing machine needles trying to make it happen).  If/when I make this again, I'll use a shorter zipper so the binding is sewn over the ends of the zipper tape rather than the across the zipper teeth.  

The pattern has directions for two sizes:  the larger size for an iPad and the smaller for an iPad mini or Kindle.  You could easily adjust the size to fit any electronic gadget.  This is a great pattern for using up pretty fabric from your stash too.  And it would make a great present for the right person.  



2 comments:

  1. I've made several of Annie's patterns and have loved each one. If you don't know, her website has video tutorials for many of the patterns to help you figure out any tricky parts. I LOVE the addition of the lace--how feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! What beautiful fabric! You'll get lots of use out of this, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.