Wednesday, February 15, 2012

This Month's Quilting Magazines

I just got the March/April McCall's Quilting and the April American Patchwork & Quilting.  Both magazines have noteworthy projects this month.



McCalls has this quilt, called Good Morning, by Holly Holderman of Lakehouse Dry Goods.


The designer used fabrics from the Pam Kitty Morning line but it is a versatile design that lends itself to just about any fabric collection, including stash and scraps. 

The super prolific Gerri Robinson has a quilt in this issue too.  It is Midnight Garden, using three different 20" block designs.  I like the block designs and think they could each be used alone.  This quilt was made with the Blueberry Crumb Cake fabric line from Moda.


In American Patchwork & Quilting, I found Reel Deal, an applique and pieced quilt designed by Jo Morton.  I've been looking for a block like this to practice my applique skills on.  The directions for the quilt include a new-to-me applique technique called back-basting.  There are very detailed instructions along with photos.  I think I'll give it a try.


I also like this pillowcase, designed by Monique Dillard, and shown on the last page of the magazine.  I've been wanting to make pillowcases to coordinate with bed quilts and this looks like a good project that uses small pieces and scraps left from the main quilt. 



You should be able to find both magazines at your local quilt shop or at Barnes & Noble book store.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.