Monday, September 12, 2011

Christmas Ribbons Flimsy

Christmas Ribbons is a finished top!  I finished it up on Sunday afternoon and Miss Main Street interrupted her reading long enough to serve as quilt holder.


 I'm very happy with the way it came out.  I used a pattern called Ruby's Ribbon Box (the version on the cover is made from a fabric line from Moda called Ruby).  I bought the pattern as a PDF download (getting it was easy and instantaneous) but it is also available in hard copy.  I used a variety of reds and greens plus three Christmas prints with a black background and a paisley print on white for the center square in two blocks.  Using a little bit of black makes the red and green pop.  My background fabric is an ivory tone-on-tone.


The pattern calls for a layer cake, though you will use only 20 of layer cake squares.  This means you can leave out any that don't contrast enough with your background fabric.  You can also make it from fat eighths or fat quarters (you need 20 fat eighths or 10 fat quarters).  Or, like me, you can use leftovers.  I use the term "leftovers" to describe fabric pieces left from another project that are bigger than a scrap but smaller than a fat quarter.  I bought the background fabric and the red for the border ribbon (and binding) but all else came from my stash.  It hardly made a dent in my stash of Christmas fabric. 

I'm going to clean up my sewing area and take care of some odds and ends before beginning a new project. 



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful flimsy! I ordered the pattern as a download, as well but haven't decided on fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.