Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza XIX

This past weekend, I went to the Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, an annual quilt show outside Philadelphia.  I always enjoy this show, the largest quilt show in my area, and this year was no exception.  Here are just a few of the display quilts that particularly caught my eye.

 
Field of Lubines, by Betty K. Fulmer of Quakertown, PA.  Machine appliqued and machine quilted.



Pineapple Blue, by Brigitte Morgenroth of Germany.  Paper pieced and machine quilted.  It won a "Best Use of Color" ribbon.

 
This close-up shows how the quilting emphasizes the circular shape achieved with the pineapple piecing.  I've been thinking about tackling a pineapple quilt recently, which is probably why this one caught my attention.

 
Millefiori, by Chrise Kenna of New Zealand.  It was inspired by Murano glass paperwights and constructed with the spiderweb technique but with additional spidewebs in what are usually the negative space/solid fabric spaces.
 
This has to be the ultimate scrap quilt!  I think it is spectacular!

 
Barcelona Crow;s Nest, by Pat Delaney of Abington, MA.  It was inspired by a mosaic ceiling seen in Barcelona.  This quilt won 3rd place in the Traditional category. 

 
Fabric loops on all four edges and a variety of quilting patterns in the strips and triangles.




At a quilt show, the vendors are just as much fun as the exhibits.  This year, I was more restrained with my purchases than usual because I have my next several projects mentally planned and so was looking for only a few items.  I could not pass up this key ring.  It is inlaid wood and hand-made.  Each color is a different type of wood.  The maker had boxes, necklaces, earrings, pins, and Christmas ornaments as well as key chains, all with quilt block motifs. 

 
In case you are thinking these would make nice gifts, you can find them at www.woodquilter.net.
 
I limited my fabric purchases to a few fat quarters.

 
And I bought just one pattern, Irish Birds by Lynette Anderson Designs.  The vendor had a sample hanging up and when I saw it, I was sure I had finally found the design deserving of my hoarded fat quarter stack of Rouenneries fabrics. 



The pattern is an Irish Chain design with added applique and embroidery.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a fun show. I was hoping to go this year but it always seems to fall around my weekend away with the gals from work. This year we were in Ocean Beach, NJ for a glorious weekend on the beach! But, when I arrived home on Sunday afternoon, the Hubs was fishing so I worked in my sewing room selecting fabrics for some baby quilts I have to start making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an interesting variety of quilts

    thanks for presenting them to us

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Cathy, I really miss going with you! I'm in dire need of a quilt show and some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.