Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Quilt Shows and Tools

Quilt shows are a great place to find new tools.  Across all the vendors at a large quilt show, you tend to see a lot more goods than your local quilt shop can stock.  Additionally, there may be a tool maker or originator on hand giving demonstrations.  That's how I found some of my favorite quilting specialty rulers, like Bloc Loc (great for accurately trimming half square triangles and flying geese).  In fact, I usually come home from a quilt show with at least one new specialty ruler or tool.  But not this time.

When I went to the Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza XIX this past weekend, I was looking for a specific tool, the Quilt Ruler Connector.  I had heard about this gizmo from Thelma on her blog, and it sounded like something that would come in handy for cutting borders.  Though I searched the tool and ruler racks of the various vendors, I did not see it.  I'll have to order it from an online source.

But I did see the Kaleidoscope Smart Plate ruler...again. 


As soon as I saw it, I remembered buying it last year.  It was a great reminder that I want to make a kaleidoscope quilt and use this ruler in the process.  It looks like it makes the construction of the block much easier.  Squash House Quilts has a demo.

Maybe it is just as well that I was not seduced by any new tools.  I have plenty of old tools I haven't even tried out yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.