Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Jelly Roll Roundup


Some readers recommended their favorite jelly roll patterns when they left comments on my post about my jelly roll project.  So in case you are inspired to make a quilt using a jelly roll, here are some suggestions:

Vangie (no blog) recommends the book Jelly Roll Quilts and More by Kimberly Einmo.  This book does sound good; all seven reviewers on Amazon.com gave it 5 stars.  Vangie also recommends Two From One Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott.

Liz recommended a Fig Tree pattern called Jelly Parfait. This is another pattern that uses yardage in addition to the strips, so you get a good size quilt with just the one jelly roll.  Liz says your can buy this pattern at FatQuarterShop.com.  In fact, FatQuarterShop has a lot of jelly roll patterns you can access by clicking here.



My favorite jelly roll project so far was Sweet Menagerie from Moda Bakeshop.  It is the pattern I used for my Blooms In The Snow quilt.  And I am liking Jellly and Jam, my current project.  I can see making it again sometime, using reds and greens for the  the Christmas version. 

Another future jelly roll quilt might be Jelly Rose, also from Fig Tree.  This one is unusual in that you would not think looking at it that is is made from a jelly roll.  But it uses 18 strips plus yardage for the stems and leaves, background, and sashing. 


I recently bought the pattern for Picnic Rollup from Thimble Blossoms.  When I bought this pattern for some reason I thought it called for a layer cake (10" squares) and planned to use one I had on hand.  But it requires 2.5" strips so now I'm waiting until the right fabric collection comes along.



Stepping Stones is an earlier pattern, not specifically for jelly rolls but it uses 2.5 inch strips.  You can make the throw size with  a jelly roll but will need additional fabric for enough strips for a larger size. 



I think my next jelly roll project will come from this book:  Scrap-Basket Surprises by Kim Brackett.  This book has a lot of projects that can be made from jelly rolls or your own 2.5" strips.  I think it is well worth the price.  I already have the supplies for a project in the book called "Feed Sacks," though my fabric choice will make a quilt that looks quit different from that in the book. 



I hope you find some inspiration here.  And if you have another jelly roll pattern to recommend, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.