Monday, January 14, 2013

Trying Plan B

If you remember my post of a week ago, I was working on a quilt for the school auction fundraiser this spring.  I had something up on my design wall but was not happy with it.  After mulling it over, I came up with some alternatives, Plan B using the flying geese I'd already made, and Plan C involving a new start with a new pattern.  I was most enthused about Plan C so ordered the pattern.  But 10 days later, it still had not arrived (according to the tracking data provided by the seller, it is still sitting in the post office where it was mailed) so I decided to give Plan B a try.

Here it is so far, and I'm quite happy with it.  No more scrappy blues.  Just the flying geese around a central panel of plain fabric (all the blue is Kona cotton in Nightshade).  I'm planning to add an outer border using the same blue fabric. 

 
This version has the bold, graphic look I was going for.  I think it's a go, though I will probably tackle the "Plan C" pattern if and when it arrives here.
 
The flying geese are 3" by 6" finished; the final quilt will be 54" by 69" which is a generous size for a throw. 
 
I'm glad I admitted I was not happy with my original effort and stopped spending more time on it.  But that's my new philosophy of quilting.  It is my hobby, I'm supposed to enjoy it, and when I don't enjoy what I'm making, I can stop and turn to something else.  No fretting about UFOs; I'm calling them experiments from now on.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. We are of like minds when it comes to UFO's, I have none, what I do have are experiments gone bad that are out the door. Your are so right, this is our hobby not our job, it should be fun, not drudgery.

    Are you going to put a school emblem in the center of that blue?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.