Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sneak Peek

I finished a few more spiderweb triangles, enough to put four together in a block to see how they come together. 


The block is not sewn together, just laid out to give me a better idea of how it will look.  Once I have all the triangles finished (I'm planning on 48, for 12 blocks, laid out 3 by 4), I'll work on the layout.  I want to be sure the various colors are nicely randomized across the surface, not clumping up in one area.  Then I'll sew them together.  A design wall is an excellent tool for this process but I make do with my design bed - a piece of white flannel on our queen-szie bed. 

I add strings to each foundation using a method I refer to as controlled scrappy.  I consistenly use one of the black or dark gray prints for the first strip, to heighten the contrast with the background (the black on white spiderweb fabric).  Then I add the other strips, trying for a good mix of colors on each triangle foundation.  I cut my strips in a variety of widths, from 1" to 2".  This meant I had to trim the jelly roll strips, which is not very efficient use of a jelly roll.  Were I to do this again, I'd buy a variety of fat quarters or perhaps a fat eighth bundle.  But I'm happy with the way this quilt top is coming together.

3 comments:

  1. Cindy T near TulsaApril 12, 2011 at 8:40 AM

    I love this block and your choice of prints.

    You make absolutely beautiful quilts.

    I really enjoy your blog.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! I have a stack of Halloween color strips that I have been saving to make a Halloween quilt - and I don't know what pattern I'll use yet, but this is a definite possibility! I said I'd never make another spiderweb quilt after my spiderweb selvage top though, LOL. Hmm, maybe if I can find a black/white spiderweb material for the 'kites'......

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to make a very cool looking quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.