Friday, April 29, 2011
Bermuda Breeze - Finished At Last
Finished at last, and named Bermuda Breeze, for one of my favorite vacation spots. I find the color combination in this quilt so uplifting, it makes me feel happy just to look at it. I need to work more often with a bright color palette.
I left the top with long-arm quilter Karen Thompson before I went to Paris and picked it up when I returned, but didn't finish the binding until yesterday. The finished size is 62" by 86" which is about right for a twin bed. If Miss Main Street plays her cards right, I might let her take this one to college for her dorm room. In the photo above, she is standing on a stool and trying to stretch out both arms but she is petite and her wingspan is not quite wide enough.
I collected turquoise and aqua fabrics for several years, with only a vague plan in mind. When I saw the Picnic Roll-up pattern from Thimbleblossoms, I thought it was just what I had in mind - modern, clean, fresh, just what these "watery" fabrics called for. However, on closer examination I realized the pattern was designed to make efficient use of jelly roll strips and strip piecing, while I would be using fat quarters augmented with some scraps. So I changed the construction technique while maintaining the overall look of the block. It worked out well for me and I would make this again with a different combination of fabric.
I've been focusing this week on finishing up some odds and ends so I can start a new project that really excites me. More about that when I really start. Have a fun-filled and relaxing weekend.