Sunday, July 25, 2010

Making Geese

I've been working on my second Christmas in July project this weekend, making flying geese units for the border.  I like to make my flying geese a little big then trim them to size.  So, break out the tools!


I use the Fit to be Geese ruler from Open Gate, along with Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper ruler.  The Fit to be Geese ruler is shown in the photo above.  These flying geese blocks finish at 2" by 4" so are trimmed to 2.5" by 4.5" - easy with the special rulers.  I cut my fabric and constuct the block using the directions for Fit to be Geese.  I also use this ruler for the first cuts to the top and bottom of the block.  Then I trim the sides using the Wing Clipper ruler.  Over time, I've found this method works best for me and I have both rulers.  But if you want just one ruler, I recommend the Wing Clipper.  Use is more intuitive and it works for a broader range of sizes than the Fit to be Geese ruler.

Either way, you end up with nice even flying geese, ready for the next step in quilt making.



I'm ready for some easy chain piecing that can be done in stolen minutes during the evenings this coming week.  But tonight, Mad Men is on my agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.