Sunday, March 14, 2010

Inspiring Places on the Web

I discovered quilting blogs about two years ago which turned out to be a major milestone on my creative journey as a quilter.  Things I've seen on blogs, websites, Flickr, and etsy have provided much inspiration for my own work.  Here are a few:

Crazy Mom Quilts and Oh, Fransson - Both bloggers use simple blocks but with creative color choices and much use of white or other neutrals to create visually stunning quilts.  While I am not yet ready to go "wonky," I've been using more white and see new beauty in simple shapes and settings.  Crazy Mom stopped blogging this year but her old posts are still "alive" on the web.

Don't Look Now! - This blogging applique maven has a distinct and fresh style that is very appealing.  I love both her use of color and her free motion quilting.  She has a line of patterns that can be purchased in the US at Shabby Fabrics.com.

Mrs. Schmenkman Quilts - This blogger's use of bright colors, especially Kaffe Fassett prints, has inspired me to break out my usual pastels and period reproduction fabrics.  I've got a couple of quilts that will use Kaffes or similar in my head; just need to get them down on fabric!

Annie's Quilting Stash - I've mentioned Annie's podcasts before (they keep me going on the treadmill at the gym; I only wish she produced more) but she also has a website where she posts pictures of people, quilts, and other items mentioned in her podcasts.  And now some of her podcasts have video.  You can subscribe to the podcasts on iTunes or listen right on her website.  Also, Annie has branched out and now has online quilting classes that replicate classes she offers at quilt shops and guilds.

What has inspired you recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.