Tuesday, May 4, 2021

APQ Quilt Along Update


I have all 30 blocks for Square Dance, this year's American Patchwork & Quilting quilt along Project, finished and sewn together with the sashing, posts, and inner border.


I tried several different arrangements for the blocks and liked this rainbow-ish layout best.  But it did cause me to rethink my choice of border fabric.  I made the blocks from 30 pieces taken from the bundle of fat eighth cuts shown on the right in the photo below (all from assorted Laundry Basket Quilts lines for Andover Fabrics).  The large floral print on the left was supposed to be the border.



I love that print but I don't love it with the assortment of blocks; the blocks need a border fabric that is less busy, that will provide a frame but not overpower the blocks, while the border fabric would be ideal with a simpler assortment of blocks that will not fight for attention with the big floral print.  So... on to Plan B.  I ordered a simple tone-on-tone print in dark navy for the border to audition with the blocks.  While I wait for it to arrive, I will work on some other things.  I have several quilts to bind, plus my handwork "portable" projects.


photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png


2 comments:

  1. Great block arrangement. Good luck with finding the perfect border. Sometimes the blocks go off in their own direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty top and agree that fabric would be over-powering and not do justice to those blocks. Am sure you will find the right fabric to work with them and can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.