Friday, May 7, 2021

Trip Around the World - A Finished Quilt


Pieced, quilted, and bound... I finished the Trip Around the World quilt that I pieced last summer.  The weather has been so good lately so I took this photo outside in our back yard.




It is a generous throw size, 64" by 72" and I bound it using the same fabric that is in the outer most "ring" of squares, the teal green tone-on-tone fabric.  You can read more about how I pieced this quilt in my earlier post on it, here.

This is the last quilt that Karen Thompson quilted for me, before she retired from longarm quilting for clients.  She quilted it with a curvy swirl panto design.  



I like swirling designs like this one for their softening effect on the angular patches.




I made the quilt top last summer when I was in use-the-stash mode so almost all of the fabric came from my stash, even the backing.  I did a fabric pull to coordinate with the colors in our family room, using the floral throw pillow as the key inspiration (the curtains in the room are made of the same floral fabric).  I wanted this particular quilt to be used in our family room and to complement the decor there but even when I'm not trying to coordinate with a room's decorating scheme, I find this method of selecting fabrics for a quilt to be quite effective.  




If you have a fabric you like, select your quilting fabrics based on the colors/shades in the inspiration fabric, in the ratios they are used in the print, and you pretty much can't go wrong.  You don't even have to use the inspiration fabric in the quilt itself, but just as a guide to selecting the fabrics you will use.  




Mr. Main Street is trying to hold the quilt up to get a picture.  The corgis saw the camera and thought they were supposed to be the models; you can see the paws of one of them (along with the mister's sock feet) under the bottom edge.  



Well, I have even more binding to do.


photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png






3 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt! Trip Around the World is one of the quilts I have yet to make, and I especially love yours...some of my favorite colors. Enjoy your day! Deb E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another terrific quilt and great stash buster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see everyone got into taking pictures and what a lovely quilt Cathy. I am sure you are very pleased with this and happy to have it finished....very pretty and now ready to use!....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.