Friday, July 8, 2016

Next Up - Making A Quilt From My Stash

 After a quilting time out while I went to a convention in Atlanta (the nickname Hot-Lanta is well deserved), I have started a new project based on using fabric from my stash.  In fact, if things turn out as planned, the entire top and binding will be from my stash closet.  I may need to buy fabric for the back unless I make a very scrappy back.

I get such a sense of satisfaction from using this stash fabric, like it makes the practice of fabric hoarding buying fabric without a specific use in mind all worthwhile!

The four prints below will be the the main components.  The print on the far left is from the Chelsea Boutique line by Blackbird Designs for Moda.  I bought it years ago because the green background is the same color as the walls in our family room.  I bought the green-on-ecru and green tone-on-tone to coordinate while the ecru is from my extensive stash of neutral tone-on-tones for backgrounds.  



The first step it to make many 9-patch blocks.  These are small; they finish at 3".  I'm using small pieces from stash (fat quarters and smaller) that coordinate with the Chelsea Boutique print that will form the outer border of the quilt.  


Last December I received some books for my birthday, including Tributes and Treasures by Paula Barnes and Mary Ellen Robison.


I am making a design from the book called Plantation Road.  I knew when I saw it that I had just what I needed to make it in my stash.  The directions make a giant quilt (95" by 107") but I'm scaling down to throw size by making fewer blocks.  The design uses basic piecing and should go together pretty quickly considering the alternating blocks don't require any piecing.  What piecing there is can be done easily in short amounts of time here and there.


This is a more traditional look than I am drawn to now but Mr. Main Street will love it and it will look great in our family room come winter.

 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

6 comments:

  1. Another thing that makes a fabric a prize is not paying $12. a yard...I might pick up that inspirations piece at the local shop and then take it home and shop the stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is suppose to read "a fabric stash a prize"
    And did you know that the only people who call a back stock of home fabric a stash? are quilters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt will be soft a gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that looks like a great quilt pattern and I really like the prints you've chosen. I need to follow your example and get started on some quilts from my stash -- it's running over the top of me! ;-D Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color combination is very soft and calming. It will make a lovely quilt. I have been reducing my stash as well and my Accuquilt Go! is proving to be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean about the satisfaction of finding a hidden quilt in your stash. Your fabric combo is going make a soft vintage cozy quilt. It's nice to do some quickie quilts once in awhile. Have find!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.