Thursday, February 21, 2013

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Project To Bring You This Finish!

I got a couple of quilts back from my longarm quilter, Karen Thompson, and the temptation was too great, I had to put aside my current project to bind one of the quilts. So here is my first finish of 2013, Rendezvous.


 
Yes, it is my pineapple quilt, all quilted and bound.  I chose the name Rendezvous to complement the French General fabrics I used in the quilt.  The fabric used is primarily from the Rouenneries Deux and French General Favorites lines, with some additions from Rural Jardin.  There are a few miscellaneous fabrics from my stash, and the red squares in the center of each block are a script print from the Etchings line by 3 Sisters for Moda. 
 

 
Making this quilt involved a couple of "firsts" for me.  It was my first time making the pineapple block (more about that later in this post) and the first time I arranged color in the blocks so the blocks themselves formed the border.  The photos above and below show how I adjusted from red to taupe in the outer rows of blocks to create this border effect.  I like it and will try it again sometime. 


Karen quilted Rendezvous using an all-over (pantograph or edge-to-edge) fleur-de-lis motif.  You can see it in these pictures.  It shows up best in the fourth picture, taken before I trimmed the quilt for binding and you see the motif where it runs off the edge of the quilt onto the surplus batting.





 
I used fabric from the Rural Jardin line for the backing and a small houndstooth check for the binding. 
 


Now, about those pineapple blocks.  I made my blocks using a specialty ruler.  I knew about the paper foundation method for this block but wanted to avoid the tedium of tearing the paper off after the blocks are made.  While the ruler worked out OK, if I make this block again, I will give the paper foundation method a try because I think it would be more accurate. 

The pineapple block is very versatile, great for a scrappy two- or three-color quilt like mine but it also lends itself to a totally multicolor version as well.  Give it try!


19 comments:

  1. What a stunning quilt! Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I have been loving your pineapple quilt... The end product is just stunning. I love how you used the block color placement to make the border. The quilting is just icing on the cake for this one. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking Quilt ! The quilting is just perfect for a French general quilt I applaud you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just stunning. I love it so much! I have never tackled a pineapple block, and now I want to make one just like your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with this quilt. Can you tell me more about what the ruler was that you used and how large your blocks are? And how did you plan the border with the taupey fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! I love the fabrics you used and the quilting looks great. So excited for you to have your first finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fabulous! The colours and fabrics you picked are stunning. Great quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is just lovely. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful quilt - I can't stop looking at it. I love the fabrics and the quilting pattern used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. just beautiful love the colors and the border, always a good idea to let the fabric do the work and make the border!
    great quilting for this quilt , just perfect
    I have a pineapple quilt on my list to make too.
    thanks for sharing the quilt with us it has really inspired me....and its RED!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Standing ovation for this one!! Stunning!! Love the 'border'!!!\P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilt and the RED! Going on my "to do list" I have the ruler somewhere but also have papers.....don't know which one I will use.

    Gloria
    gyates625@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pineapple quilt! The border is gorgeous! Love how it fades to another color to frame your quilt, will have to cut into my French General stash :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a long time since I've seen anything so beautiful! All that gray, red and cream..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is gorgeous, so precise! Well done, a great achievement. How come I have never found your blog before? Thank you Nicole of Sister's Choice Quilts for directing me here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seldom miss your posts, Cathy, so I'm not sure how I missed this one. It's the most beautiful pineapple quilt I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning! I love the fleur de lis quilting design - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Classified Sites, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.