Saturday, June 13, 2009

Inspiration Found at NJ Quilt Convention

Yesterday, I went to the annual show of the State Quilt Guild of NJ at the Expo Center in Edison. It is a smaller show but I always pick up a few bits of inspiration and this year was no exception.

The following two quilts were part of a small exhibit called Vintage Revisited. The quilts were made as part of a challenge; they had to be 24" by 24" and include all or part of a vintage block.
This one is by Mary Kerr. I like this as a method to preserve and showcase the baby jacket, lace, and vintage notions.


This one is by Jeannie Roulet Minchak. It is so cheerful. I think the flowers in the center are paper-pieced.

This variation on the 4-patch stacked posie is by JoAnn Lepore. It won a 2nd place ribbon! Congratulations! The 4-patch stacked posie quilts I've seen before were done with sashing in straight sets. I like this alternate setting.



Paula Barnes of Bonnie Blue Quilts was vending at the show with an absolutely wonderful booth, a real stand-out at the show. Bonnie Blue Quilts specializes in fabric and quilt patterns of the Civil War era. The walls were hung with their quilts witha few more displayed on tables and on a small bed, and they had fabric, kits, and patterns for sale. The patterns are impressive enough but pale in comparison to seeing the quilts all made up. They will be vending at the Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza in September, which I am planning to attend.

So - the loot! Well, I did not buy much. I was trying to restrain myself because I have so many projects in the WIP stage. I did buy a little bundle of FQs from Bonnie Blue Quilts. And I could not resist this book, Home Sweet Home by Barb Adams and Alma Allen, seen at the book vendor's booth:

It has nine appliqued house blocks plus directions for putting them together in a sampler style quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.