I made Merry and Bright using a pattern called Trellis Crossroads from the book Modern Bee. I like the clean lines of this design, so modern, and have seen it made up in other fabrics on the internet. The design lends itself to just about any fabric collection, plus stash, which is what I used for my Christmasy version.
This is what a finished block looks like. The blocks get trimmed down and then sewn together to create the look seen in the finished quilt. And this is where I had a problem with the pattern.
The directions for trimming the blocks are too cryptic. It is important that you measure from the center of the block out to edge and trim, to ensure the trimmed blocks will be uniform and the seams will match when you start sewing together. If you don't do this, you will have mess of mismatched seams.
Karen Thompson quilted Merry and Bright for me, using this loopy design. I think the seams in the large white spaces will be less noticeable after a washing.
My finished version is 62" by 74" which is a good size for a throw quilt. It is our first Christmas decoration of this season.
I did a lot of labeling over the weekend. When I cleaned up my sewing room for the house tour, I found a stash of labels I had made for various quilts but never sewn on. That oversight was rectified this weekend and I am now caught up.
Occasional Piece Quilt has a tutorial on how to make this kind of quilt label using your computer printer.