Monday, April 16, 2012

On My Design Wall

Many thanks to those who left comments on my query about whether to remove the backing fabric from behind the Dresden plate after appliqueing it down.  The general concensus was that it is not necessary to remove the backing if the plan is to machine quilt.  However, Laura in IA raised a point about the weight if the backing is left in place.  This got me thinking that it would be best to treat all the blocks the same or the quilt might end up unbalanced or not drape properly.  As I had already removed the back from a couple of blocks, I continued with the rest of them.  But if/when I make another one, I will probably leave the backing fabric in place.   



My blocks are all finished, with the center circles in place. I started making the sashing on Saturday and began putting it in place with the blocks on Sunday. So far, so good. The posts will be nine-patch blocks.  The end is in sight!


2 comments:

  1. Just doing a little blog hopping and found you - I'm new to quilting and am learning the basic skills from our local guild. It's always fun to see what experienced quilters are doing and I love the fact that you showed some construction steps.

    Katie
    www.westiejulep.blogspot.com

    ps...if you have time and scroll down a few posts on my blog you will see some of the quilts from our last guild meeting as well as our guest speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks are beautiful and it's almost done. woohoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.