Thursday, July 14, 2022

Pirouette, A Finished Flimsy



And the top is finished!  It is not quilted yet but I put it on my bed to see how it looks (also to be sure it is big enough).  I enlarged Pirouette, from the book A Scrapbook of Quilts, from 16 blocks to 25 blocks so it would fit a queen size bed.  And I made the outer border 4" wide to add a bit more.  I think it will be about 93" square after quilting.


The color in this close-up photo is closer to "real life" than the photo above.  The 30's reproduction prints are bright and cheerful.  




I had to buy some fabric for the back as I did not have anything big enough in my stash so I went for a wideback fabric (108 inches wide) because my least favorite part of quilt making is piecing the back.  I am going to take this to a longarmer to quilt and am contemplating designs while I wait for the back to arrive.  I want a design that will make the seams in the white areas less apparent.  I do have some fabric for the binding.  It is a blue print, the same blue as the solid I used for the tiny cornerstones in the center of each block.  

This quilt was a good stash buster though I still have enough 30's reproduction prints to make another quilt.  I'm thinking maybe a log cabin.  But that won't be my next project as I have a few things in the pipeline to get to first. 


photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png



1 comment:

  1. Really nice finish and lovely quilt top Cathy....I agree, making a backing is my least favorite part too. Bet it feels great to have this together...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.