Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Sewing Bags and Bins - Part 3 - Lola Pouch by Sotak Patterns


I follow a number of quilting blogs and several bloggers have posted zipper bags they made and mentioned how addictive making them can be...now I understand!


A zipper bag seemed like a natural companion for my Sierra Bin but there are so many patterns out there.  After much review online, I chose the Lola Pouch by Sotak Patterns, and purchased the pattern as a download from the Etsy shop.   I was drawn to this pattern because it seemed fairly simple but with no exposed seams inside or need for a serger (I don't have a serger) and that I could use two fabrics to coordinate with my bin.  

The instructions were very easy to follow, with explanations and "pro tips" that helped the construction process go smoothly.  Even the zipper installation was easy.  I used my machine's zipper foot for the zipper and the binding (the binding encloses the zipper tape and the top raw edge of the bag), though the instructions don't call for it so if you don't have one, you will probably be okay.  The small bag went together quickly so I decided to make the large bag too.  These bags are lined and I learned a "pro tip" that helps the lining fit smoothly; I'll be applying that tip to all future bags (it involves making the seams of the lining 1/8" deeper than the outer seams, so the lining is that tiny bit smaller than the outer bag - it worked perfectly).



The small bag holds spools of thread I purchased to match the fabric I'm using in my Flowers for Emma hexagon flowers.  The zip bag can go right inside my Sierra Bin.  The "handmade" zipper pulls are from Fat Quarter Shop; only $2 apiece!  I used light weight interfacing in the zip bags; the pattern doesn't call for batting but you could add it if you want the padding.  

Now I understand about the zipper bag addiction and will no doubt be making more.

This is the end of my sewing bags and bins series.  I'm well supplied and organized, and will be back next week with a finished quilt.


photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.