Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Staycation - A Finished Log Cabin Quilt


My second fully finished quilt of 2020 is Staycation.  It is 80 inches square so my quilt holder is struggling to hold it up.


If I had to choose a favorite quilt block, I'd have a hard time deciding between sawtooth star and log cabin.  This must be the 5th or 6th log cabin quilt I've made.  It was a good stash buster as most of the fabric came from stash, leftovers from a few other quilts I made in the same colors.


My blocks are based on the Sweet Escape pattern by Thimbleblossoms but I chose a different setting from that in the pattern directions.


Karen Thompson, my longtime longarm quilting collaborator, did the quilting and I love the open, lacy feather design.  It looks especially good in the lighter areas.  









I designated 2020 as my year for stash busting and this quilt helped because even the backing came from my stash.  This is a wideback fabric I bought some time ago with no particular use in mind.  But when I see widebacks I like, I usually buy some, particularly if the price is right, because they are easier than trying to piece the back for the a large quilt.  The design on the fabric is a greatly enlarged post mark, like you see on the stamps on postcards.


I did "splurge" on new fabric for the binding.  I had an idea in mind but didn't have the perfect fabric in my stash.  This lime green and white stripe fabric went perfectly with the blocks.  It is cut selvage to selvage, on the straight of grain, because I wanted that look with the stripes straight.  This is a big departure for me as I almost always cut my binding fabric on the bias.   



Mr. Main Street and I had a major vacation planned for this spring, two weeks in Europe including a 9-night cruise from Athens to Venice by way of some of the Greek islands.  The trip had to be cancelled because of the Covid-19 pandemic.  While we are re-booked for next year, 2020 will likely be the year of the staycation, and that's how I came up with the name for this quilt.



photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

5 comments:

  1. This quilt is a lovely representation of those sunny places in the Mediterranean. Clear blues and clean white blocks in a classic shape. I'm sorry about your vacation, we were supposed to be in Italy this fall, but that is also not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staycation is absolutely gorgeous. I agree with Robbie that the colors do reflex the Mediterranean Sea. You might have been able to travel there, but your quilt will be a vacation reminder.f

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours Sea glass is what I would call the colours. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt and love the quilting Cathy! Nice to have another "Staycation" quilt done I bet and your stash must be going down! Sorry about your wonderful trip cancelation and have heard some others say the same thing about trips....something to look forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I love this quilt -- the colors are SO pretty! Sorry about your trip -- I'm kind of wondering if Europe is going to be bombarded by all of us who had to delay a vacation next year LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.