Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Making A Quilt From Stash

While I mull over what to make with my Chantilly fat quarters, I started making log cabin blocks from fabric in my stash.



I'm using the block from the Thimble Blossoms quilt called Sweet Escape, though I may go with a different setting.  The blocks finish at 10" square, with each log 1" wide.


All the fabric (except the aqua used on the "light" side) is from my stash, mostly leftovers from these two quilts, Celebration made in 2017...


...and Scrappy Stars made in 2015.


For the white on the "light" side, I'm using a tiny white floral tone-on-tone because I had that in my stash as well.  While trying to put the Chantilly fat quarters and some other recent fabric purchases away in my fabric closet, I found space was very tight.  Fabric is a huge temptation for me; I'm like a kid at a buffet where my eyes are bigger than my stomach, or in the this case, my attraction to new fabrics exceeds the time I have to make anything with it.  So I'm trying to whittle down the stash a bit before I expose myself to further temptation. 

The size of this log cabin quilt will be determined by the number of blocks I can make from my stash pull.  I have two other stash projects in mind, one to use my pale florals and another using Christmas prints.  And I'm planning another quilt in my Fig Tree Harvest series, to use the leftovers from my previous quilts.  I'd like to make a Jack's Chain quilt (examples on my Pinterest board) and am looking for directions for this block or a pattern.  Please let me know if you are aware of one.

 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

11 comments:

  1. https://debbykratovilquilts.blogspot.com/2016/11/jacks-chain-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your scrap quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you were able to use the same fabric in different ways. I'm also a kid in a candy store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you trying to reduce the stash even a few strips at a time. I'm tempted all the time as well. There's so many wonderful colors and designs to play with and never enough hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your blog so much and I agree about the amount of stash I manage to accumulate vs. time to use it all. Such a dilemna, but your willpower is motivating me to do likewise. I do want to tell you that there is a Jack's Chain pattern and template set from Under the Garden Moon patterns by Amy McClellan . Her pattern is called Cobblestones. I have taken classes from Amy at quilt retreats and I can tell you her patterns are very well written and organized. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those logs are great and can't wait to see them in a setting...love your color choices. I agree that our stash is something to deal with and sounds like you have a great plan to reduce yours some. I also separate my FigTree fabrics as I do try to use in some other projects and just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your log cabin blocks! I thought I recognized the name of that quilt design and when I searched my files, I found this one:
    http://carpelanam.blogspot.com/2012/06/jacks-chain-tutorial.html

    Although I'm a big fan of Debbie Kratovil so will also be checking out the link Caro provided too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love those colors together! I so admire your restraint and resolve to whittle down your stash. I SO need to work on that -- if I could just decide on WHAT to do -- there are too many option out there and I have analysis paralysis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.