Tuesday, January 1, 2019

My Stars, the Creative Grids Flying Geese Ruler

Wow, I see it has been five months since my last post.  Having a full time job, quilting, and blogging about it are really not compatible.  I think the job might have to go.

New Year, New Project!   I'm making Aurora by Laundry Basket Quilts, and I need about a bajillion 4" sawtooth stars (well, okay, I need 127).  I have 75 made.



Edyta Sitar demonstrates how to make this quilt in a YouTube video.




But I used a new-to-me method to make the flying geese units.  This method starts with two squares so is very handy if you are using charm squares, it is a little odd, but the units get trimmed to the correct size and this helps a lot with accuracy so I gave it a try.  It has worked well for me; the directions are here.



I wanted a 1" by 2" Bloc Loc ruler but couldn't find one, even online (they may have been out of stock on this size at the time because I think they do make it).  Instead, I got the Creative Grids Ultimate Flying Geese Template and Quilt Ruler.  I like it, it the best ruler for flying geese blocks in multiple sizes that I've found yet.  And Creative Grids has a video to explain how to use it.



So I'm in business, just 52 more stars to make!


 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

5 comments:

  1. Good to see you back and looks like you are back to making a fun project....with lots of stars Cathy. A very interesting ruler and sounds like it will come in handy even after you do the bajillion stars! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are 4" of cuteness! Thanks for the info on the Flying Geese rulers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you! I usually have great luck with Creative Grids and am slowly replacing some of my rulers with theirs as the need arises. Good luck with the rest of the bajillion stars. (We all know exactly how that feels.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear what you've been up to. It's amazing how many different ways there are to make flying geese and everyone has their favorite way. Looks like this ruler and method is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I can't wait to see your quilt -- I love the blues and stars. I'm with you on the job -- mine needs to go too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.