Friday, February 23, 2018

Roughly What It Will Look Like

2018 Winter Olympic Games = lots of time for hand sewing in my view.  I got a little project together.  It is called the mandolin quilt block, from Tales of Cloth.  I stumbled across the block on Instagram, where you can see this block (#mandolinquilt) in every color combination and type of fabric you can think of.  It is an English paper piecing design.

The photo below shows my fabric choices, cut and laid out to test the combination.  Actually, this is where I ended up, not where I started, but I neglected to take photos of the false starts.  


I glue-basted during the first night of coverage and have been sewing during figure skating, skiing, and snowboarding.



The design so far; two more rounds to go.  I'm making just one block and my plan is to applique it to background fabric, quilt it, and frame it using a large embroidery or quilting hoop. 

 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely block. I think many of us quilts have been stitching through all the different events. I'm not sure what will get done next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hand sewing project and this is going to beautiful....and a nice way to watch Olympic games!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the fabrics draw your eye! Great hand project!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.