Monday, August 25, 2014

DWR Update - Borders Added

I added the borders to my Double Wedding Ring top so now it's truly a finished flimsy!

 
I used the background fabric for the borders (from a Moda 3 Sisters line called Printemps).  I created a foundation 90 inches square and appliqued the double wedding ring top to the foundation.  Then I cut away the extra fabric that backed the double wedding ring portion, leaving the borders.  The cutting part was a bit nerve-wracking; I was afraid of accidently cutting the quilt top.  Fortunately, all went well.
 


 I used the blind hem stitch on my sewing machine (Bernina 440Q) to applique the top to the foundation.  Wow, it was easier and faster than I thought it would be and the stitches are nearly invisible.  That's a close-up above; you have to look really closely to see the stitches and I think they will be even less visible after quilting.  More of this machine applique will be in my future.

The next step is to get this top quilted.  I'm planning to spring for custom long-arm quilting.  Now, on to the next project!




2 comments:

Kyle said...

That was a great solution to adding borders to the curved edges. Your quilt is going to look like a vintage heirloom after it's quilted!

Thimbleanna said...

It looks great Cathy! What a great idea to use the blind stitch!