Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Vintage Quilt Revival - Book Review


A few weeks ago, Thelma of Cupcakes 'n Daisies showed her Spiced Chai quilt, made from the book Vintage Quilt Revival by Katie Clark Blakesley, Lee Heinrich, and Faith Jones.  I was intrigued so when I came across the book at our public library, I checked it out.  (I've been trying to cut back on buying books becaues our shelves are crammed full.)


 
The authors had a great idea here.  They've taken traditional blocks and updated them in ways that give a fresh, modern look.  A lot of the modernity comes from their fabric choices - bright, modern prints and solids.  But one of their ideas is to incorporate a lot of open space into the quilt.

 
Seaside Quilt by Katie Clark Blakesley uses the Cross and Crown block.  Ten blocks were combined with large expanses of solid fabric above and below to make a full size quilt.  This would be a great way to use some UFO blocks if you don't want to finish the original project. 


Geometric Slide Quilt by Faith Jones uses a similar approach except the Double Z blocks are staggered. 



My favorite project in the book is the Spin It Again Quilt by Lee Heinrich.  I like the bright colors combined with gray and white. 

There are a lot of full projects in the book, plus you can make one of each block and combine them into a sampler quilt as shown on the cover.  If you want to inject a more contemporary look into your quilting, Vintage Quilt Revival is good place to start.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about having full book shelves so I also make use of the library for most of the new quilting books. You've shown some quilts from the book that I haven't seen anywhere yet. Look forward to checking it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a nice book and I am impressed with some of those projects...thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.