I made the scrappy LeMoyne Star blocks last spring. My original plan was for a simple quilt layout, alternating star blocks with plain blocks. Then I got another idea. I drafted my own alternating block, cut the fabric pieces, and set to work sewing them up. The quilt is set on point, alternating the two blocks, and setting triangles form the solid border. The revised layout led to the name, It's Complicated.
Mr. Main Street did his best but his wingspan is not quite wide enough for the size of the quilt.
Karen Thompson quilted It's Complicated with a curlicue vine and hearts pantograph design.
I'm so happy with the way this quilt came out. It is part of my series of Fig Tree Harvest quilts, an attempt to use up my extensive stash of fabric from Fig Tree & Co. collections for Moda. My earlier quilts used the more girly pastel and floral prints but I used more of the brown and carmel fabrics, with a little red and green, in It's Complicated. I'm glad I did because the colors make for a different look.
I used a special ruler to make the LeMoyne Star blocks, the Rapid LeMoyne Star ruler from Studio 18 Designs. The ruler simplifies the block construction so it doesn't require any set-in seams. Using it was a breeze; I highly recommend it for this block.
I'll be back later this week to share the start of my new project.