Sunday, October 31, 2010

Progress on Picnic Rollup

It was nose to the grindstone this week, with hardly any time for quilting let along blogging about quilting.  I have a feeling life is going to be like that for a while.

But I did make some progress on the project inspired by Thimble Blossom's pattern Picnic Rollup, that I've been calling Turquoise (but I need a better name).  An alternative way of constructing the blocks sang out to me so I'm not making it exactly per the pattern directions.  And my fabric selection is not the Bliss collection shown on the pattern front.


But no matter, it is coming along.  In fact, with 20-some blocks completed, I decided to lay it out on the design bed to see what it looks like.  I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with this one!


The blocks are laying on my design flannel, which is white and so handily mimics the Kona white I intend to use for sashing.  That floral fabric on the far left is what I intend to use for borders.  That's why I threw a little lime green into the blocks for contrast.  Here's another shot of the blocks.


The only decision now is how big to go.  I'm thinking 30 blocks, laid out five by six.  That will give me a quilt top of about 54" by 64" or about 60" by 70" after I add the borders.  Or maybe I should go a little bigger and make it long enough for a twin size bed.  I'll ponder it while I get back to the Bernina.

1 comment:

Thelma said...

I can't believe the number of great turquoise fabrics you have found for this quilt. i would have guessed that the different colors would fight each other, but they do not. Your design "wall" fabric is perfect, it gives you a great idea of what your quilt will look like with sashing, how great is that!

It's looking great!