Tuesday, July 17, 2018

What I Did On My Vacation


If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a photo or two from my trip.  Mr. Main Street and I went on a river cruise on the Danube, from Nuremberg (Germany) to Budapest (Hungary).  It was wonderful and may have spoiled us for other means of travel!  AMAWaterways was the river cruise company for our trip and I can't say enough good things about the experience. 

We flew to Munich and spent two nights there, taking in the major sites and adjusting to the time difference, then went by train to Nuremberg, where the cruise was supposed to start.  But water levels were low in the canal and river, so to avoid running aground, our boat, the AMASonata, was moored east of Nuremberg and the cruise company took us to the boat by bus. 


Nuremberg

We very slowly made our way downriver, stopping each morning in another town where we could have a leisurely tour of the sights and then spend some free time.  All of our meals were on the boat; the food and service were both excellent. 


Passau



Melk Abbey



along the Danube in Austria



Hofburg Palace in Vienna

One day in Vienna was not enough, I'd like to see more, but that gives me a reason to go back!  Budapest was more impressive than I expected, a lot of beautiful buildings along both sides of the river (one side is Buda and the other side is Pest, joined into one city in the 19th century).  It became even more impressive at night when the major buildings are lit up.  


Parliament building in Budapest at night


I took along a hand work project, about a zillion hexies I cut out that need to be basted to the paper.  I only got a few done, had too much else to occupy me, lol.  I met a woman on board who was working on her own epp project, the Lucy Boston quilt.  Pretty surprising considering I almost never encounter another quilter outside of my LQS (or the internet) and there were only 168 passengers on the cruise. 


I'm back to my regular schedule now and a whole lot more basting.  Good thing I have a long list of shows to watch on Netflix.  The weather forecast calls for rain this weekend so I may make some real progress. 


 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip and looks like you were able to see a lot of wonderful sights...vacations are the best and. Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to any of those destinations, they are now on my list. I've been thinking of trying out a river cruise, did you still feel like you were immersed in the culture, even though you dined on the boat? Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip with nice weather as a bonus! What a coincidence that you would meet another quilter! I love the hexies you started. I have a set that I also started as my "take with" project. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh How Fun! I've never heard of that cruise company, but thanks for sharing the name and recommendation. I love to travel and Germany is a favorite as we lived there for a few years when we were newlyweds. I've always wanted to go to Budapest (back then it was behind the wall, so travel there was pretty difficult). Glad you had a wonderful trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, your trip looks fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing the details. We have been tossing around the idea of a very similar cruise to very similar locations so this info is going to be added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.