Wednesday, January 25, 2017

What I'm Working On Now




A beginning of the year trip to Hawaii.  I worked on my dance steps and my tan.


Just kidding about the tan.  I'm a redhead and that just doesn't happen, less white is all I can hope for.
  Despite much time spend relaxing on beaches.  This one is Kapalua Beach on Maui.  

Lots of fun and now I'm back to real life again.  My first order of business is to clear the decks in my sewing room.  My sewing room doubles as our guest room and one of Miss Main Street's friends stayed overnight after interviewing for a job to teach English in Japan after graduation.  The room got its first clean in quite some time.  I sent two finished tops off to be quilted and unearthed Little Butterflies, a project I appliqued and pieced in 2015.  So, definitely a UFO!



Little Butterflies is about to be quilted, by me, by hand.  I've been meaning to do this for a while but got side tracked by other projects.  My plan is to quilt a sort of grid behind the butterflies, to make them stand out more.  No marking necessary, I use painter's tape.


Painter's tape comes in several widths (I'm using 7/8" wide) and it sticks to the fabric without leaving any residue behind after removal.  You can re-position the tape several times so each piece is re-usable.  After a few times, it won't stick as well; I just ball that piece up, throw it away, and start with a fresh piece of tape.  No marks to wash out after quilting is done.

I'll be back soon with some progress shots.

 photo signature_zps7mcw44cc.png

3 comments:

  1. How fun to visit Hawaii! I have always wanted to go. And good for you for quilting your butterfly quilt. It makes me want to pick up hand quilting again. I love painters tape and use it for machine quilting all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy... I got a big kick out of the comment you left on my Hodgepodge. Hope you had a wonderful time in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use painters tape all the time when hand quilting. It works like magic and I get nice straight lines. The trip to Hawaii sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.