Friday, December 28, 2012

Friday Find - Bloc Loc Rulers

I enjoy the process of making quilts as much as the finished product, and I find that having the right tools makes the process even more enjoyable.  As a result, I'm a sucker for any sort of tool that looks like it will make the more tedious, repetitive steps go faster or that will help improve accuracy.  I especially want to avoid having to rip out and re-sew.

I first encounted Bloc Loc rulers at a quilt show where they were being demonstrated.  Bloc Loc rulers have a channel that snugs up to the seam, eliminating slipping and ruler rock when you trim.  I've found that the best way for me to get accurate flying geese blocks is to make them a little bit over-sized then trim them to size before sewing them into larger units.  There are a number of different rulers out there that help you do this; I have and use both the Fit To Be Geese ruler from Open Gate Quilts and Deb Tucker's Wing Clipper,  but my new favorite is the Bloc Loc. 

 
See how the channel in the lucite ruler snugs up to your seam line?  It is so easy to cut around this ruler accurately. 

 
The only drawback is that each Bloc Loc Flying Geese ruler makes only one size block, unlike the other rulers which work for a range of sizes.  So I've been buying the rulers as I have a project come up that warrants its use. My latest is the 3" by 6" size.  I'm using it to construct the 2013 school auction quilt. Oridinarily, I prefer smaller blocks but I find that a bold, graphic look works best when using this high contrast color combination (gold and blue are the school colors).  There will be a lot of flying geese in this quilt and this ruler is helping me construct them efficiently.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE these rulers! Good luck with all your flying geese. On my blog, I've posted a tutorial making four geese at a time under the virtual classroom tab. For the size you need, start by cutting (1) 7-1/2" square and (4)
    4" squares for the corners. They will go together very quickly. Have fun! --Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flying geese! I have several on my list for beds in our new cabin in the woods. I may just need to try that ruler too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love flying geese! I have several on my list for beds in our new cabin in the woods. I may just need to try that ruler too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you take a stack of 4 or 5 post-its, and attach one corner of the stack in the top of the "roof" of your Fit to be Geese ruler, it will give you the same feel as your Bloc Loc ruler. Give it a try, maybe you won't need to buy all new geese rulers after all!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.