Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pineapple Quilt Block - Foundation Paper or Ruler?

This is where I was a few days ago...

 
 
And this is where I am now. 
 

 
 
I've finished the first eight blocks and they look like pineapple blocks now.  I've been using the Pinapple Rule from Possibilities but this technique is not without its problems.  In fact, though I plan to finish this project using the ruler, if I make another pineapple quilt, I will probably try foundation paper piecing. 
 
I thought the ruler would be less tedious than the foundation papers.  While I quite enjoy the sewing process with foundation paper piecing, I don't like having to remove the paper at the end.  While an alternative is to use muslin or very thin interfacing in place of the paper, I am afraid that will leave me with a quilt that feels heavy and stiff.  
 
The Pineapple Rule is cleverly designed and quite easy to use.  The biggest drawback is that you are always attaching your next round to bias edges.  It is all too easy for the bias edges to get stretched out of alignment.  None of my blocks looks wonky but I doubt they are all exactly the same size.  I have a feeling that sewing the blocks together at the end will be challenging (the blocks you see above are on my design wall, not sewn together yet), but I will address that challenge when I get to it.  After all, tomorrow is another day! (quoting Scarlett O'Hara).
 
 
 
I will be putting this project aside soon (just temporarily) in order to return my sewing room to its other use, the guest room.  My mother is coming for a visit, to see Miss Main Street in what is probably the last theater performance of her high school career.  Mom will be staying with us for a week and I don't think she wants to share the bed with piles of fabric and partially completed quilting projects.  So it is time to put the fabric away.  But this presents an opportunity to send the Bernina for a tune-up and work on some binding. 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. That is really pretty Cathy! It caused me to catch my breath. I love how it looks already. The fabric, color...pineapple block make for a very rich looking quilt. I love it. I am telling you right now, even if it is a bit of pain to piece the blocks together, it will be worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is looking beautiful! I have the ruler and the Possibilities book, too! Someday! Why not use a square of parchment paper as a foundation? It should be easier to remove than regular paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt ! The fabric is just PERFECT for this pineapple quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even think of the bias. I am not a huge fan of paperpiecing but I definitely know that some blocks are just so much easier when using that method, so I bite the bullet and do it. I'm so happy that you gave this one a try. I will be leveraging off of your experience. The quilt looks great. Hopefully it won't be difficult to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update on the pineapple ruler, I was waffling between this ruler and paper. I'll be eager to hear how the blocks all go together. One thing is for sure, I love this quilt and a pineapple quilt is in my future. Enjoy your visit with your Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first one I ever made was on paper, and it was a lovely translucent paper with blue lines. The woman who taught me, and manufactured the papers, seems to have died and no one makes a similar paper now. I absolutely loved it, because it was so easy to remove. I have the ruler somewhere, but I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you say the paper piecing copy is? Love your quilt

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - thanks for taking the time to leave a message.